Welcome to Monday's Minute: Fitting a Muslin
Tips for Fitting a Muslin
- Use cheap, stiff muslin. I buy it by the roll.
- Accurately take your body measurements: high bust, bust, waist, hips and select paper patterns based on those measurements.
- Use carbon paper, ruler and tracing wheel to transfer pattern seam lines, darts and markings to muslin.
- If you know you need extra room in an area (such as the hips) leave extra seam allowance in that area so you can let out for adjustment.
- Baste together all the major pattern pieces in muslin and press the seam allowance and darts as you would with the full garment.
- Try on muslin with well-fitting undergarments. Go to mirror and inspect garment. Look for tightness, baggyness, wrinkles and foldlines.
- Remember to check for ease. You should be able to move around, walk, sit down and raise your arms in the muslin.
- Make adjustments gradually and try on muslin again after each change.
- Once you have made all the alterations to muslin, transfer your changes back to the paper pattern!