Monday, February 27, 2017

Crafting| My Crafting World


For several months I've been contemplating the direction of my crafting. I've found myself starting many projects but not finishing them, bringing myself to near tears over the techniques of a project, staring at unused fabrics, yarns, patterns in my stash collection and feeling guilty that those items had not been touched since I purchased them.  I begin to wonder if my choice of projects were a reflection of what I truly loved to do or if they were a result of seeing a project on social media and thinking I should be doing that project because “everybody else is.”  I found that I could simply not follow that path anymore.

I've asked myself, “What do I truly want from my crafting experience?” and “What really makes me happy spending time and resources doing?”  I looked around my house and noticed the pretty Heart Pinwheel Quilt on the bed in my master bedroom, cross-stitch projects hanging on a cork-board in my sewing studio, a handmade crochet scarf hanging from a hook in the hallway, a Valentine Apron draped on my dress-form, and my handmade Charm Square Handbag resting on the sofa.  I've found that I love making and designing aprons, working with needle arts such as cross-stitch, embroidery and crochet, constructing handbags and making simple, beautiful quilts.  I now find much happiness in bringing my crafting skills to smaller projects making them simply beautiful!

In that same search around the house I found an unfinished shirt project hanging in my sewing room closet, apparel fabric that has been stashed for in a cardboard for a couture techniques dresses and a French Jacket project.  To my surprise I've honestly found I do not want to work on complicated, time projects.  My past goal of making a French jacket with couture techniques or spending hours mastering fit no longer bring me crafting joy.  When I looked in my wardrobe closet I found that the “me-made items” I have loved and keep over the years were “simple-to-make” and “easy to wear!” In the future, when I do sew apparel, it will be knit maxi skirts with elastic waistbands, simply-designed dresses and easy-to-make pullover tops.  I want to make sure I'll end up with something “I really love and really find joy in making!”

I've also questioned the way I am consuming.  Why do I keep buying more patterns, fabric, yarn and not using what I already have in my stash collection?  I've taken the time to slowly and honestly weed through my stash and found there were many purchases made because “I saw it on social media and thought I should be doing it or have it too!”  Therefore I took a deep breathe, gathered some boxes and packed away yarns brought for crochet planned color pooling, fabrics and notions purchased for couture/tailoring projects, etc., etc. and donated it all to Goodwill.  Yeah I did!  I am now happily left with a stash that truly reflects my crafting goals; quilting cottons, embroidery flosses, knit fabrics, finger weight and DK weight yarns and colorful skeins cotton yarn.  It pleases my heart to look at my collection of mini cross-stitch kits that were purchased at under $3.00 each and the happiness I will have making them.  I've made a vow to stop overwhelming myself with more purchases of crafting items and to focus on using what I currently have.

I am sharing this story of “My Crafting World” with you because my “new crafting outlook” will be reflected in my Blog.  I hope you will continue to follow me, enjoy reading my posts and share a comment to me every once and a while.  Wishing everyone much happiness.


Regina

4 comments:

  1. Bravo!!!!! This is something I NEED to work on and have been gradually moving in that direction! You will seen a lot of "easy gratification" garments on my blog because of it. I found that I was getting bored with anything that took me longer than 3 days to complete. Not saying I won't add something now and then...just the majority of my work and purchases will be items I am truly going to be happy with making and keeping in the future! Congratulations for finding your true passion and sticking with it! I appreciate you sharing with us as well...I bet there are a lot of others out there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Myra.

      Delete
  2. I think many of us have fallen in the trap of doing what other people do on social media. I try not to as I have always been aware of this trap. Which probably does not get me lots of likes! Yes, you must do what makes you happy. And there is nothing wrong with simple clothes that are worn. Well done for lightening the load.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Liz, I have highly admired your crafting style over the years. Thank you so very much for your comment and crafting friendship!

      Delete

Comments are kindly welcomed. Thank you for posting.